Subject: Unicode Combining Characters

Unicode Combining Characters

From: <unifoundry_at_unifoundry.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 13:45:58 -0700

Rasher (Jonas) mentioned that he wasn't sure how Rockbox was handling
Unicode combining characters. I mentioned how to find a list of
combining characters in Unicode's Basic Multilingual Plane in the source
tarballs at unifoundry.com. That list has all combining characters in
the BMP.

There are only 45 more combining characters in the higher planes, so I
added them to a new version of the file. Here is a list of all 1020
combining characters in version 5.1 of The Unicode Standard (975 in the
BMP and 45 in the higher planes):

     http://unifoundry.com/combining-5.1.dat

That file has one code point per line, in hexadecimal. I have checked
the list exhaustively in the BMP (i.e., those numbers below 0x10000).

I am placing the file in the public domain, so use it any way you want.

Given such a list, a combining character should be rendered on top of
the character before it, with no advance in spacing. It is possible for
multiple combining characters to appear together.

Enjoy!

Paul Hardy