Subject: Re: PortalPlayer USB for 3.2?

Re: PortalPlayer USB for 3.2?

From: Alex Parker <parker.alex.e_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 14:16:11 +0100

Arno Wald wrote:

> If you manage to fix this problem in one or two more weeks it would be
> better to postpone the release date by this time. If you think that 2
> more weeks do not help either it would be the best to disable the
> function so that rockbox will not get a bad reputation because of data
> loss in the future (a release should be a stable thing).

We release every three months now anyway, so I don't think we want to
delay for this. Unfortunate as it is, we have not had USB on these
players for a long long time, so an extra three months to make sure it
is stable is not the end of the world. Releasing a stable release that
has the known possibility of causing corruption (or even is just known
not stable) is not a good idea IMO.

> If it is possible to make USB support configurable for the user (who
> sould be warned on enabling it), this would be a good thing. (Maybe the
> daily build could have it enabled?) Many users could test the support
> and you get a feeling for the situation.

It is enabled in the current build and will continue to be enabled in
the current build.

> If I had a data loss on my
> Sansa, I think it would not be a problem, because my main data storage
> is located on other hard discs. Our could data loss mean that the player
> could become bricked because the system partition could be hurt?

However data loss is very serious for many people, and we should not be
giving the possibility in a release.

Unfortunate as it is (and I would *love* to see USB in the release), my
opinion is that USB should be disabled for this release.

Alex