Subject: Re: how is strnatcmp aka "Interpret numbers while sorting" supposed to sort?

Re: how is strnatcmp aka "Interpret numbers while sorting" supposed to sort?

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 00:28:58 +0100

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:18 AM, Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Meanwhile, we're willing to break intentional numbering because of this rare
> case? Do you really think it's going to occur often enough to plan for?

My personal opinion is that users will do this, and they will do it
often enough to justify it -- people who want a specific sorting will
use ASCII sorting anyway. Well, at least the majority of them.

Besides, from the users point of view I'd prefer to be in line with
the major OSes. Not doing so will cause confusion among users. I don't
think Windows treats leading zeros as intentional, and that is still
the major OS.

 - Dominik