Subject: 2009 Google Summer of Code Student Interest

2009 Google Summer of Code Student Interest

From: Alex Thompson <alexofdoom_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 00:16:12 +1100

Hi All,

I'm a student interested in a gsoc project for 2009. I'm a 5th (final)
year studying BEng (Electronics and Computer Systems)/BSci (Research
and Development) at Swinburne University in Melbourne, Australia.

I'm interested in two ideas listed in the wiki: Touchscreen
improvements and Rockbox as an Android application.

I'm an owner and regular user of an iriver H140 and Cowon D2. I find
the touchscreen driver on the D2 inadequate for reliable usage, while
the main thing it probably needs are some tweaks (to reduce
sensitivity etc), I think it would be good to extend the WPS to
include onscreen buttons for interaction. This could be useful for
rockbox as it is ported to more touch screen devices.

I'm also interested in an attempt to "port" Rockbox to Android. I
realise that would mostly likely be a complete code rewrite and it may
not be practical. I've done a little bit of investigation and it seems
possible to run native code on the G1, but it is unsupported and I
don't know if a native library can be accessed though the Dalvik VM.

OpenMoko is also a possibility for a port, but I prefer the idea of
Android over OpenMoko as it is more stable, the development
environment seems better and it could reach a wider audience, it is
less free however.

I also think it could be possible to combine both ideas, improve the
touchscreen interface and then use that knowledge and apply it to an
Android rewrite.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Alex