Subject: Re: how is strnatcmp aka "Interpret numbers while sorting" supposed to sort?

Re: how is strnatcmp aka "Interpret numbers while sorting" supposed to sort?

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 19:25:11 +0100

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 6:47 PM, Thomas Martitz
<thomas.martitz_at_fhtw-berlin.de> wrote:
> The problem with his proposal was, that it looked 3 times at every char.
> That's hardly optimal.

Which doesn't imply that it can't be done better. An inefficient
solution is therefore no reasoning against fixing a feature.

> And I think that a file-listing is relatively timing critical. I wouldn't
> want to have noticeably delay just due to sorting on each folder I enter.

Then you need to define what time-critical means. For me, this is
interrupting some real-time process (playback, communication with a
chip on a bus, data corruption etc). A file browser should be fast,
but it's definitely not time-critical -- nothing bad will happen if it
takes slightly longer. Except maybe the user getting annoyed. But I'd
rather call that time-relevant. It's not critical.

 - Dominik