Subject: Re: Rockbox as an Application and Google summer of code.

Re: Rockbox as an Application and Google summer of code.

From: Mark Allums <mark_at_allums.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 09:11:15 -0500

Paul Louden wrote:
> Mark Allums wrote:
>>
>> I would like to suggest that a common framework across environments
>> would be wise, e.g., something that is available for Windows, Linux,
>> BSD, OS X, etc. Qt? With a layer in there to fit in Paul Louden's
>> idea, so that there is minimal wear and tear on the RockBox code.
>>
>> Mark Allums
>>
> The simulator already uses SDL. "As an app" has a goal of detaching it
> from the framework, because one may not be available on PDAs,
> Smartphones, or Digital Media devices with full operating systems
> capable of running third party applications. Rockbox as an app shouldn't
> really be thought of as "a PC version of Rockbox." The wider goal is to
> ease porting of Rockbox to any location where it won't be the firmware
> including ones where such a framework may not be available.

That occurred to me after I sent the first message. I only have the
mailing list, so I am not aware of what you guys have already discussed
ad infinitum, ad nauseum, etc. on IRC etc. So please forgive me when I
state the obvious.

If you want a universal platform, Java is a bit closer. I recall
Android being mentioned at one point. Is SDL available for Windows CE?

I would enjoy Rockbox on my Blackberry.

Mark Allums