Subject: Re: Rockbox as an Application and Google summer of code.

Re: Rockbox as an Application and Google summer of code.

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:51:49 -0500

Jonathan Gordon wrote:
> Now, from a purely technical point of view... the only realistic goal
> for raaa right now is to just remove all the #ifdef SIMULATOR
> dependancies and have it build a native sdl/qt/whatever app for the
> given platform using that platforms drawing/sound/"button"
> capabilities... Using native widgets is a) impossible right now,
I assume you mean "impossible to get done in a reasonable time period?"
> and
> b) would just look stupid having it partially mixed with the
> comparatively ugly rockbox ui.

So we should avoid better functionality if it would "look stupid"?
> Besides that, I think stripping the rockbox UI and putting a new one
> on is pointless... there are far better (no offense meant)
> playback/database/etc engines out there that already are cross
> platform...

I haven't found one for my Windows Mobile phone yet that offers the
functionality of Rockbox. This sounds like the usual thinking of it as a
PC app only. Cross platform is a lot wider than that. RB as an app
includes potential targets in game systems, phones, PDAs, and PCs with a
wide range of OSes. Our range of sound and playback options alone is
enough to at least put us on a competitive level, surpassing many.
> My dream for raaa extends only as far as being able to compile the
> source tree for a new "target" which gets the sdl part from
> firmware/target/blaa and has no SIMULATOR defines... How about we try
> getting over that pretty big hurdle first and then see how far we can
> take it instead of setting stupidly high minimum levels from the get
> go?

This is discussing the total goal for Rockbox as an app. A GSoC project
should have realistic goals along the way, but determining the final
goal which may be outside the scope of the GSoC project isn't pointless.
If the goal is to use native widgets where suitable, it's something
anyone doing work on such a project should at least keep in mind while
they're doing their work. If you're going to move forward at all, you
need to first decide what direction is forward.