Subject: Re: Buffering two files

Re: Buffering two files

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 16:49:08 -0700

2009/4/7 Bryan Jacobs <no_at_landwarsin.asia>:
> I am a prospective Summer of Code 2009 student potentially working on
> implementing Wavpack Hybrid Compression support in Rockbox.  To do
> this, I'll probably need to buffer two different files.
>
> There's been some debate as to how best do this.  What do the devs out
> there think?
>
> Bryan Jacobs

There was some talk in IRC today about this starting
http://www.rockbox.org/irc/log-20090407#21:00:54

To summarise, my feeling is that at least for a start this should stay
out of MoB (i'm working on the possibly false assumption that MoB wont
be happy trying to keep two files in the buffer and being read at the
same time). If 512KB is enough for the lossless part, my suggestion is
to steal the plugin buffer and use that as a file buffer and have a
2nd thread in the codec manage that... and hope the cpu can keep up
(on dual core targets putting the 2nd thread on the COP should work
well...)
My reason for keeping it out of MoB is because this is the only(?)
codec/use that needs this extra file and I'm worried it will make
things more difficult to work with.
Of course, the downside to that suggestion is that you cant run
plugins while its being used, but I dont tihnk thats a really big
issue for now...

If that works then we can talk about having MoB release a chunk of its
buffer for codec use (and split this file loading code into the codec
lib for codecs where its needed).

This is just to help get discussion going.. it might be a really bad idea :)

Jonathan