Subject: Re: accessibility of the rockbox utility

Re: accessibility of the rockbox utility

From: alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 19:38:48 +0100

snip
However, some properties might need to get set to
> improve accessibility. NVDA, which I'm using for occasional tests,
> does read the interface to me. This does not help me in any way to
> figure if the text that is read is actually enough to cope with the
> interface without seeing it. This is the point where input from blind
> users is actually _needed_, but unfortunately the usual input is only
> something like "it does not work". Unless someone explains how a blind
> user "sees" the interface there's not much we can do about it because
> we don't know _what_ to do.

Hi well I am happy to try to give input, can you please explain what it is
exactly you want to know? I mean I can go through with jaws and tell you
about all the various buttons and tabs and dialogs that are not read, but I
guess that is not what you are asking for my input on?
as I guess me telling you that this button or tab is not read propperly is
no help, as you won't have any idea from what I tell you where I am in the
interface.
I guess the first start for me giving input is to do an accessibility
comparison between jaws and nvda to examine the accessibility diferences.
Also, what exactly do you mean when you ask how a blind user sees the
interface, the question is kind of broad. Are you asking how we navigate the
user interfaces of applications?
snip
> If you are interested in improving the accessibility of Rockbox
> Utility _please_ help us and explain what the current problems are.
> You should be aware that you not only need to point us to problems but
> also explain why these are problems, as otherwise it's quite hard to
> understand the reason for the issues and thus avoiding it in the
> future (plus, it helps finding better ways to fix the issues).

So by that, do you mean if a button or dialog is not read, you need me to
explain what is going on when I say that it isn't read propperly? from
examining the rb utility interface, the main problem at least when running
jaws seems to be the names of controls and tabs are not read. So for
example, jaws gives indications about the type of control we are on but will
not read the name linked to that control. It states that controls are
buttons or tabs but that is it.