Subject: Re: new binary of rockbox utility for me to test.

Re: new binary of rockbox utility for me to test.

From: alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 23:03:57 +0100

> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 5:51 PM, alex wallis
> <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I see that Domonoky has posted a patch to fs #10205 that should deal with
>> some accessibility problems.
>> I am happy to test it, if someone could make available a binary including
>> this patch.
>
> Binary of current svn with the latest patch of that task applied at
> the same location I posted yesterday:
> http://www.alice-dsl.net/dominik.riebeling/rockbox/rbutilqt-svn.zip

Thanks for the binary, I am giving my feedback here, as its very detailed,
and I get the feeling that huge comments are not encouraged on the tracker.
So my feedback is as follows on the version with the patches applied from fs
#10205

With the set of patches applied from this task, some problems have been
solved, and new ones created.
The biggest problem which has been created, is that the menu system is now
completely inaccessible.
If you press alt to access the menus, jaws is able to read the menu bar as
you move along it items such as file and actions. However if you go into a
menu, jaws will read you the first item, and then if you press up or down it
won't read anything else, you get no indication of changing the menu
selection.

Several problems have been solved now, the titles on all tabs appear to be
being read correctly, but there are still problems with the titles of some
combo boxes and spin boxes. Which I will detail below.

If you go into the option called create voice files, but don't click the
button to change generation settings, the language combo box title is not
read, you simply get the first language in the list read.
The next problem we encounter is if we change the synthesizer being used to
generate the voice. The title of the combo box listing them is read, and if
you go up and down in it as your selection changes it is read.
However if you then click the button to configure tts, jaws does not
announce the title of the synthesizer you have selected to use, instead even
if your selection says sapi, when you select configure tts, jaws reads the
title of the dialogue as espeak configuration.
However under tts configuration, the title of the language selection box is
read correctly with jaws, and I am able to navigate it.
Other controls in the configure tts dialogue are voiced correctly, these are
the edit field called options, the voice combo box, and the speed spin box.
All controls in the configure encoder dialogue seem to be voiced correctly,
at least there titles are read.
However, none of the spin boxes are read when you make changes to them, you
have to still tab away and back to them. So the titles of the spin boxes are
read, but not changes.
There are still some things that are not being voiced, one tab title I can't
understand at all with jaws, this is still under the generation settings
change dialogue, the tab title I can't understand is located between the tts
and encoder settings, and the tab called language.

On the tab called language, I am seeing a single edit field, who's title is
not being read.
Back in the main create voice files dialogue, there is one spin box who's
title is still not being read, to find it, if you place yourself on the
cancel button and press tab once you will find it, its default value is 500.

There is also one edit field who's title is not being read under the install
talk files dialogue. To find it, place yourself on the cancel button, press
tab once and you will find it, if you press tab again from it you find
yourself on the brows button.
Just as a general note, its not a good idea to rely on narrator for your
accessibility tests, narrator functions very differently to a screen reader,
and it is not intended to be one. There are a lot of things narrator can't
read that jaws can, so narrator will not give you accurate test results.
There is a jaws demo available that you could download and install on your
system. I can get its url for you if you like.