Subject: Re: question about hid in rockbox

Re: question about hid in rockbox

From: Tomer Shalev <shalev.tomer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 17:49:11 +0300

Hi Marc,

Would it also allow for Rockbox to play music located on the PC's hard
> drive, or merely act as a controller?

The answer is: both "maybe", and "depends".
Still, if both answers are positive, it would be still very hard to
implement. Considering the effort it takes, and the questionable benefit,
I'm not sure this is going to happen ;-)

In order for Rockbox to access other USB device, it has to act as a USB
host. This can only be done providing the USB controller (and software...)
supports USB On-The-Go (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go). I think
this is the case with Sansa E200, and probably other players as well (the
docs of the USB controller have OTG stuff, but it might be disabled/removed
in HW).

I am not familiar with any OF that implements and uses OTG.

I don't know how an OS acts when an OTG device connects to it, trying to act
as the host, and using its internal storage (which is mounted by the OS). I
guess it's impossible.

Regards,
Tomer