Subject: Re: Simpler solution?

Re: Simpler solution?

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 05:36:15 -0500

alex wallis wrote:
> That is not entirely correct, the file name is read after the beep if
> you are just going up or down with the joystick with single movements,
> however if you hold the joystick down in a given direction you just
> hear the beep. Admittedly it gets played continuously until you
> release the joystick, however this is an issue I guess that could be
> corrected.

If you'd read earlier posts fully, this part of the thread is
specifically about correcting that issue as an alternative to the beep...

> Why not give people this patch, but also a setting to enable it so
> that pondlifes speech option of having the first and last items read
> can be used as an alternative.

Because we're looking for a way to solve the problem while avoiding
further settings bloat.

> After all, some people like beeps such as me, other people would
> probably prefer pondlifes solution if they are holding down the
> joystick or wheel to go up or down.

Not every possible desire can (or should) be addressed.

> I don't agree with that argument, assume they know there item is three
> from the bottom, they scroll to the end of the list, knowing instantly
> they reached it when they hear the beep, they can then just go up
> rapidly a few times and bang they know they are on there item.
> Admittedly I guess the same would be true if pondlifes solution was
> used though.

Or, as I've said MANY times now, they could just press "up" to be at the
bottom of the list, then go up from there.

> That assumes they are not down in the middle of a huge folder the beep
> indicates when either top or bottom is reached.

You can always skip back to the top of the folder by leaving and
re-entering the folder. This takes much less time than scrolling, and
provides you immediate access to either end of that list.

> The beep simply helps me keep track of my location in terms of where I
> am in a given list of files or folders. I did not know till now that
> holding the joystick in a given direction would allow me to stop at
> the end or beginning of the list.
> So I have been scrolling by rapidly moving up or down, and listening
> for that beep which told me instantly I had gone to the top or bottom
> of a list. But I don't really use it as a reference point when looking
> for a particular item.

It really sounds like this beep is more there due to lack of knowing
about existing ways to navigate Rockbox.