Subject: Re: jdgordon: r21307 - trunk/apps

Re: jdgordon: r21307 - trunk/apps

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 02:13:27 -0500

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> So for these reasons I'm switching camps. Let's leave the splash as it
> was.
Actually, pondlife has brought up what I think is a rather good
compromise - splashes can be ignored.

If you press any button while a splash is onscreen, the splash vanishes
and the button (any/all buttons) does what it would do as if the splash
were never there. So if you trigger the "Nothing to resume" splash,
instead of having to wait for it to vanish, you can just continue
browsing as if it hadn't come up, ignoring it and effectively canceling it.

This shouldn't lead to the same sorts of accidental keypresses because
it's not timing dependent - whether the splash is displayed or not, the
button does the exact same thing. Meanwhile it means splashes can be
dismissed.

Display timing for splashes is a separate subject entirely. On that
matter, my opinion is that it really doesn't need to be lengthened even
once they can be dismissed, because a lot of people won't realize they
can now be ignored and (to me at least) most splashes I've seen seem to
display for an appropriate period of time currently.