Subject: Re: Replaygain without a setting, and other menu cleaning.

Re: Replaygain without a setting, and other menu cleaning.

From: Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz_at_student.htw-berlin.de>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 21:47:28 +0200

pondlife schrieb:
>> In the general trend of "streamlining the menu structure" I'd like to
>> bring up the idea of removing the Replaygain toggle.
>>

>> I know there was at least one objector in the past. Can anyone see some
>> obvious actual problems with it?
>>

> Use of Replaygain has an impact on battery life IIRC. Might be better to
> merge the "Enable replaygain" option into the "Replaygain type" menu as an
> "Off" option. (This would default to Track gan if shuffling", giving one
> less menu ioption and the desired default behaviour.)
>

>> To me the most "obvious" improvement would be to drop the toggle for time
>> stretch (despite RAM cost, this is the sort of feature that should be
>> always on
>>

> I disagree - with the current algoithm the RAM cost is significant, and the
> impact timestretch has on sound quality (e.g. mono output and plenty of
> artifacts) mean that in many cases (i.e. non-speech) it's better to use the
> old pitch-only option.
>

>> with us perhaps reclaiming the RAM in the future when it's not in use)
>>

> malloc, you mean? ;-) (joke!)
>

>> and reduce it to a menu with two options ...
>>

> I'm strongly agains this - it removes two key features of the pitch screen:
> - beatmatching (the +/- 2% shift)
> - the ability to change pitch without changing BPM/perceived speed (i.e.
> where speed and pitch change together)
>
> Plus, the pitch/speed values are not settings - they are not persisted.
> This, along with the above, is exactly what I want when I'm DJing.
>
> pondlife

I agree with all what pondlife said.

Paul, am I right? On the one had you want to "waste" 64K of RAM, and on
the other hand you want to reclaim binsize/ram by making the pitchscreen
a list? Some (work-in-progress) targets are already short on RAM (the
clip has only 300K for example).

Removing a simple on/off setting isn't worth removing 64K of valuable
audio buffer for nothing for most people IMO.

I rather think we should go away from lists, instead of turning things
into it. The pitchscreen is a nice example how settings can be presented
in a more appealing way. Sure, it needs some polishing after the
timestrech commit.