Subject: Re: Replaygain without a setting, and other menu cleaning.

Re: Replaygain without a setting, and other menu cleaning.

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 05:29:03 -0500

Jeff Goode wrote:
> To your main point: I have a number of files from the same albums that
> are replay gain tagged for each track but not for the entire album.
> Therefore, when I play back tracks that play directly into the next
> track with replay gain enabled, there is a jump in volume. This is
> not a subtle "purity" argument, but a very evident distraction.

So your files are improperly replaygained. "My tags aren't done
properly" isn't a really good reason for anything, though I guess it's
moot at this point since a better solution was proposed.

> Also please explain to me why I should have to go back and retag all
> my files to allow you to remove the ability to turn off a feature I
> don't want and have no use for? It's not as though you'd have to do
> some extra coding to implement a feature. You want to go out of your
> way to take one out. Are aesthetics preferable to function here?

In some cases aesthetics *are* function. The menus are imposing to new
users. Any items we can remove because their redundant improve that. As
well, there's the very real possibility that users don't know they need
to turn replaygain on. If you "support replaygain tags" people may
readily expect that if their files are tagged with them, we'll use them
- "If I didn't want replaygain why would my files have them?"

> Merging settings is one thing. Removing the ability to disable an
> unwanted feature is something else.

This is where you're confused - replaygain is only used if you have a
value in your files. You'll notice the option was never offered "toggle
use of album name tag" or "toggle use of track name tag." Everywhere
else we assume your files are properly tagged.