Subject: Re: Rockbox User Con

Re: Rockbox User Con

From: alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 20:57:46 +0100

> Paul Louden wrote:
>> alex wallis wrote:
>>>
>>> So I would be very interested in attending such an event, though after
>>> September it will be a bit harder for me to attend anything, so my vote
>>> if we start thinking about locations and dates would be before
>>> september.
>> It's really far too late to try to plan something like this now. You
>> should start planning for next year, or at least next major holiday
>> period. You still need to find a location, arrange what's going to happen
>> during that period, everyone needs to arrange transportation and possibly
>> time off, make rooming reservations, etc. These things are much easier
>> and cheaper if you have time to do so.
>>
>> Really, there's not too much point in even discussing this until
>> someone's ready to say "I'm willing to host a user gathering and have a
>> suitable location." Until then, you're mostly wishing for someone else to
>> do something.
>

> Paul, your thoughts were *not* solicited. This is for Users, not Devs.
>
> Some of your comments are useful and thoughtful, but please do not presume
> to instruct the users as to how they want *their* cons to be hosted. Some
> developers seem to be interested in helping to host a con, but you are not
> required to participate, and if you don't like the agenda, you may stay
> away.
>
> I am open to suggestions as to how to improve the con, Paul, but please
> allow the users to express themselves without your veto. I suggest you
> send your comments to me off list or send them to the dev list.
>
> This is not a con for this year. This is not even a con for next year.
> This is a hypothetical con.
>
> This is a run-it-up-the-flagpole-and see-who-salutes message, not a let's
> get down to business message.

Mark, I think your above message was extremely rude to Paul and its tone
completely uncalled for.

While I often don't like a lot of messages Paul sens, and I often find them
abrupt and yes at times some times rude, I think your message was out of
line.

Paul was nothing but polite in his message, simply stating an opinion that
these things take time to organise.
I did not feel from his message that he was trying to take over the user con
or anything remotely similar.
I am sure Paul has a lot of experience he could bring to the table.

These are just my thoughts on your message I personally think You should
apologise to Paul for your above message.