Subject: Re: Center on loaded theme FS#10391 (+ set_file bugfix FS#10392)

Re: Center on loaded theme FS#10391 (+ set_file bugfix FS#10392)

From: Marianne Arnold <m.arnold_at_telecolumbus.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 11:53:35 +0200

> Why not make this "best effort" to be the exact theme? My idea here is
> to simply save the theme name if the user chooses one. Saving the
> theme parts (font, etc) could even be dropped in that case. If the
> user selects a different font, wps, etc later just drop the remembered
> theme name and only remember the components -- then you'll hilight a
> "random" theme when entering the theme selection, but as there isn't a
> theme that matches the current state this is ok imo. If he didn't
> change anything (which I guess will apply to most cases) then you can
> hilight the correct theme.

I thought about this too and in my head it became the worst of all alternatives - because when sometimes the correct theme is highlighted and sometimes the first in the list (if you altered your selection) you can easily think the first is the selected one. You are led to thinking it will always highlight the current one but then it doesn't... there is just no consistency.

Until we would mark a loaded theme as modified (if it is) I don't think we should pretend an accuracy that isn't there - just highlight the first thing in the list like it is now and be done with it. To be honest, I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble and complication to track those changes and "mark as modified" at all.

Something that came to my mind right now and could work as a compromise but is not very well though through yet... what if the "title" of the theme browser would show the last loaded theme as "Last loaded: name-of-theme"? Browsing would be the same as it is now but this way the ones that didn't keep the name of their last chosen in mind have a reminder but it also implies that something /could/ have changed in contrast to center on the highlighted theme. Might look odd and would be the only place like this, now, probably...

Regards,
Marianne