Subject: Re: Center on loaded theme FS#10391 (+ set_file bugfix FS#10392)

Re: Center on loaded theme FS#10391 (+ set_file bugfix FS#10392)

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:02:51 -0500

Al Le wrote:
> But still I can think that for a user, a theme is something he
> selects, and there is not much difference (for a normal joe user)
> between selecting a theme and selecting a font. But fonts are
> pre-selected while themes are not.

We now present "Fonts" as if it were simply a setting, rather than a
file browser. This distinction is actually beneficial, because changing
the font just changes one value (current font) and if that value is
changed elsewhere (maybe by loading a .cfg file such as a theme) the
font list *should* (I don't know if it does) update to the new currently
selected one. In this way it can absolutely show the "value" that is in use.

> I agree that it's not black and not white, and I also understand your
> reasoning. I just try to imagine what a user who has never seen
> Rockbox before and has not heard about themes, configs etc. would expect.

But you're judging based on your own expectations. The only thing we
know is that there have been very, very, very few people asking "Why
doesn't it remember what theme I last selected in this menu?" so even
people who find it unexpected haven't felt it was actually a problem
worth reporting or requesting a change over.