Subject: portalplayer bootloader versions

portalplayer bootloader versions

From: Frank Gevaerts <frank_at_gevaerts.be>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 18:30:26 +0200

Portalplayer bootloader versions are a bit confusing:

Sansa bootloaders have nice version numbers. The current version is 5.0,
the next will be 6.0

Released H10 and mr100 bootloaders don't have version numbers, and use svn
revisions instead. H10 is r12862:12866-070320, mr100 is r12345-080318.

The way to set these numbers seems to be to either edit
tools/version.sh, which can't be committed to the bootloader release
branch because it's too global (it sets *all* versions), tools/configure
(same problem, and this is really the wrong place anyway), or
build/Makefile (build directory, so can't be committed either). It can
of course also be set by editing bootloader/main-pp.c and
bootloader/show_logo.c, which I think isn't too clean either, but has the
advantage that it can be committed, so we know where the source is.
Another way to do this would be to remove APPSVERSION from the
bootloader makefile and set it in config-* instead.

In order to release new bootloaders, we need to decide how to solve
this, and we need to decide on H10 and mr100 bootloader versions.
Any opinions?

I can test sansa and H10/5 bootloaders, but not mr100, h10/5mtp or
h10/20, so we need testers for those as well.

Frank