Subject: Re: portalplayer bootloader versions

Re: portalplayer bootloader versions

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 10:27:02 -0700

2009/7/5 Frank Gevaerts <frank_at_gevaerts.be>:
> On Sun, Jul 05, 2009 at 07:18:38PM +0200, Thomas Martitz wrote:
>> Jonas Häggqvist schrieb:

>>> This seems most clear to me, at first glance - in combination with a flag
>>> in show_logo.c whether to use BOOTLOADER_VERSION (or whatever is decided
>>> to call it), or APPSVERSION (for svn bootloaders).
>>>

>> I think config-* is the wrong place for version numbers in general. It
>> should give info about what the hardware is capable to do, and some
>> minor other target-dependant stuff (such as rockbox file extension).
>
> I don't really like this either, but I don't really see many
> alternatives
>
>> You should be able to override version.sh in bootloader.make.
>
> Override it with what? bootloader.make is used for all bootloaders, with
> different versions.
>
> Frank
>
> --
> "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
> Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are,
> by definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Brian W. Kernighan

I see no problem with bootloader version numbers in config-*.h,
considering we put other capabilities in there which are fairly
arbitrary and not really linked to the actual hardware (i.e
HAVE_ALBUMART HAVE_JPEG etc). putting the bootloader version there
makes sense.
The other possible option is having a bootloader-version.h in the
bootloader/ folder which is filed with #ifdef <TARGET> #define VERSION
blaaa blocks....