Subject: Re: Branch for updated/initial bootloaders for USB-enabled PP and AMS Sansas (and their installers)

Re: Branch for updated/initial bootloaders for USB-enabled PP and AMS Sansas (and their installers)

From: Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz_at_student.htw-berlin.de>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 18:52:54 +0200

Dave Chapman schrieb:
> Thomas Martitz wrote:
>> I've just created a branch at
>> http://svn.rockbox.org/viewvc.cgi/branches/bootloader_ams_pp/
>>
>> Use this branch to commit version number changes or whatever needed
>> to get nice bootloaders out for affected targets. Also use this for
>> the installers (mkamsboot, sansapatcher, ipodpatcher, h10-installer(?)).
>
> We've never created branches before for this purpose - why can't this
> just be done in trunk like all previous releases?
>
> The problem with a branch is that changes don't get picked up by the
> build system or the front page of the site (IIUC).

Late reply. I don't see any problem with the branch anyway.

Anyway, I didn't know the usual way of doing bootloader releases. But
since we're branching for Rockbox releases, and many (including some
almost supported) targets are affected (and due to the point below), I
thought branching was a good idea.

> For bootloaders, version numbers don't need committing - they have
> always just been specified when building the binaries. e.g. "make
> VERSION=3.0".
>
> Dave.

That's just bad IMO. Someone checks out the tag to recompile the release
bootloader for whatever reason and doesn't get the same as installing it
from the download server. The source the binary is built from should
have the version also IMO, that's clearer than implying knowledge of
some make parameters.

Best regards.