Subject: Re: Packaging for Debian/Ubuntu

Re: Packaging for Debian/Ubuntu

From: Bryan Childs <godeater_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 06:48:57 +0100

On 9 Jul 2009, at 20:49, Shahar Or <shahar_at_shahar-or.co.il> wrote:

> When users of modern Linux distributions install software, they don't
> have to worry about dependencies.
>
> How difficult would it be to make a dynamically linked rbutil, please?

The users don't have to worry, because the people who make the
packages have worried for them. We decided it was far easier to make a
statically linked binary, with no dependencies. That means you can run
it on any linux distribution at all, and it doesn't need to be
packaged. Just download it and run it. If you *really* want a ubuntu
or debian package for it, then go ask the people who maintain those
distributions to make one. It's really not our job.