Subject: Re: Packaging for Debian/Ubuntu

Re: Packaging for Debian/Ubuntu

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 08:36:29 +0200

On 7/9/09, Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz_at_student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:
> The main blocker is the fact that rbutil is still a 1-binary app,
> statically linking Qt stuff. IIRC that's a no-go for packaging.

This is completely nonsense. Please don't state such things if you
don't know about it.

We distribute Rockbox Utility binaries as "1-binary app" for
convenience. There is no need to do that, and in fact the wiki page
contains directions how to build Rockbox Utility statically -- which
in turn means that you can build it dynamically without any problems.
In fact I'm using dynamically linked binaries during development all
the time, and for building dynamically you don't need anything special
-- when building *statically* you need a statically built copy of Qt
and run qmake with the "-config static" option. There is *one* thing
that you can't disable this way: embedding of resources in the binary,
which also includes icons. Though I've never heard of this being a
problem for packaging, as the licence permits doing so.

The reason there is no package is simply that nobody made one. Feel
free to give it a go.

 - Dominik