Subject: supported players

supported players

From: Frank Gevaerts <frank_at_gevaerts.be>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 22:30:18 +0200

Hello,

At DevCon in Gent we decided to relax the requirements for a player to
be called "supported".
I've listened to the relevant bit of the recording, but I didn't hear a
clear conclusion, so here's what I remember. Feel free to jump in if you
remember something differently.

The meaning of "supported" would be something like:
* Runs rockbox and is usable as a normal music player
* There is a safe and well documented installation method for at least
  one operating system, although of course more are preferred.
* There are released bootloader binaries, as well as binaries for
  installation tools (if needed)

There would be a subset of this that implies more. There is no consensus
yet on how to call this group (although "gold" has been proposed), but
it would additionally require:

* rockbox runs well enough and has enough features to allow most people
  to use it exclusively and not use the OF
* there is a manual. This was not seen as an excessive requirement
  because it is not a requirement for "supported", only for "gold"
* all hardware in the player that is supported by rockbox works well
  (there may still be hardware that is not supported, e.g. usb host)
* rbutil installation support is not required. It would of course be
  nice to have.

The "gold" targets are also the ones that will be included in the
releases.

A target would enter "supported" state if the porters feel it is ready
for it. The list of supported targets on the front page (or wherever it
ends up) should have a list of the most important problems users can
expect with it, especially for non-gold targets

Some of this is pretty vague in my memory, so I might be confusing my
opinion and the consensus here and there. Please shout if you feel that
this is the case.

Frank