Subject: Switching to the new distributed build system

Switching to the new distributed build system

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 16:56:42 +0200

As many of you know, I and Daniel have been working on a new distributed build system since Devcon. It has now reached the point where it does everything the old system does, only faster and better.

Hence, we intend to switch to the new system this evening (maybe sometime around 20:00-21:00 UTC). In concrete terms, it means we will stop the old system and change a few links on the web site.

The new build system is an improvement in several ways:
- It allows clients to come and go as they choose, even in the middle of build rounds.
- It also runs all builds at low priority, so you can run it on your desktop without it grinding to a halt when compiling starts.
- Also, it attempts to make use of slower machines by giving them small builds and let the big servers handle the heavy lifting.

This means that practically everyone can contribute with a build client, for how little or long as you choose. Start it when you like, stop it when you like. Or leave it running permanently. It's your choice.

For information about how to run a build client, see:
  http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/BuildClient

--
Björn