Subject: Re: Target classifications v2 ?

Re: Target classifications v2 ?

From: Johannes Linke <johannes.linke_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 13:13:51 +0200

Thomas Martitz schrieb:
> On 12.10.2009 12:51, Johannes Linke wrote:
>> PS: I suggest changing "stable" to "complete" or something else... If
>> you see stable and usable, you think usable = unstable, but unstable
>> is often = unusable...
>>
>> Imo the following classifications would be best:
>>
>> Complete - well, complete. This port offers everything Rockbox can
>> offer.
>> Usable - stable, audio playback, manual, support by installer, no
>> serious bugs. Things like recording or Video are not required.
>> Unusable - everything else.
>>

>> Johannes
>>
>> pps: i just noticed that these are the same classifications as we now
>> have, just renamed.
>
> No it's not the same, because stable doesn't have the high requirement
> to offer everything we can offer. Also, the current unstable targets
> don't need a manual or support by installer.
>
> Best regards.

True. Are there many targets which are now in the stable-category which
don't meet these requirements? And of course the support by installer
and the manual are discussable. Maybe "support by installer" could be
replaced with "there's a documented way to install Rockbox", either with
the installer or with some instructions of the wiki. And the manual - I
don't know, i hardly used it, so i can't say how much it helps a port to
completeness :)