Subject: Re: Custom button mappings - a proposal

Re: Custom button mappings - a proposal

From: Frank Gevaerts <frank_at_gevaerts.be>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 22:34:33 +0200

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 01:16:40PM -0700, Jonathan Gordon wrote:
> my immediate reaction is avoid the hold button as the modifier.. that
> means that only those targets with a software hold switch can use
> this...

I don't think it's really necessary to have the same modifier on all
targets.

> in practice I dont think that would work... my view is it shuold be a
> combination of:

(from irc: "that" is the ability to switch keymap/configs on the fly)

Why? I think the ability to switch at runtime allows for some
interesting options, such as allowing some actions while on hold, or
even extending the existing maps on targets that really don't have
enough buttons (you get the standard buttons in the default map, if you
want something that was dropped because of lack of buttons, quickly
switch to your custom map and back)

<possible way of implementing things snipped. I don't care about the
"how" right now :)>

Frank