Subject: Re: Crossfade options

Re: Crossfade options

From: pondlife <pondlife_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 08:01:21 -0000

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the refactoring - playback might even get to the point where it's
easy to understand if you carry on like this! ;-)

I always use crossfade. Shuffle and Manual Skip is my settting of choice.
This means that:natural track transitions when not shuffling will play
without crossfade (i.e. play an album as the artist intended gaplessly), but
all other cases will crossfade, for smooth transition when manually skipping
or allowing shuffle to do its evil work.

I've not tried a very recent build, but it's definitely a case of shuffle OR
manual track skip, not AND. (I rarely use shuffle to be honest.)

I don't personally see much use for the new option, i.e. I don't see when
you'd use "Auto Track Skip" but not "Always" instead.

(Having tried "Always" it rarely sounds better than the original flow anyway
for natural track transitions, but that depends entirely on the playlist -
some auto-generated and all shuffled playlists ought to be treated as if
shuffle is enabled, but I can't think of a nice way to achieve that, so I
put the option in my quickscreen instead.)

As others have said, I think we should rename "Auto Track Skip" to be
"Natural Track Change" or similar (assuming we keep it in...)

Hope this helps,
pondlife