Subject: Re: Release thoughts

Re: Release thoughts

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 14:26:16 -0600

Peter D'Hoye wrote:
> My feeling is that a testing phase with RC builds needs way more time,
> and that maybe the freeze period needs extending and even maybe the
> whole release cylce.
>
> /Peter
I'm not sure how much positive effect more time would really have. What
I personally would really like to see is a checklist of features like
like each playback format, playlist loading, saving, and reorganizing,
etc, for each of the targets we support. Then we can ask users (or
developers) to run through that playlist and check them off.

Rather than a basic "let us know if there are problems" we can replace
it with a "please let us know that each of these things works, or if you
don't wish to test all of them, let us know which ones you did test and
if they worked." I think even a full checklist of features shouldn't
take too long to run through for a user.

I doubt we'll get everything in the list this time, but between now and
the next release when someone says "Why didn't you test X" we can add it
to the checklist for next time, and so on.

With a table from these checklists as we get closer to the release day
we can more explicitly see which things haven't been tested yet in a
more visual, simple to spot manner.