Subject: Re: H300 bootloader - another (final?) push

Re: H300 bootloader - another (final?) push

From: Jens Arnold <jens_at_jens-arnold.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 22:01:03 +0100

On 19.11.2009, pondlife wrote:

> The current released H300 bootloader (v5) is now over 3
> years old, and has several issues that have been resolved
> in SVN* since:: - Unable to start the device using the
> standard (non-LCD) remote. - USB fails to work at all (on
> some devices) - Lacks RTC alarm support (* also needs
> FS#7814) - Loud audio thump at startup
> - Hard disk click entering USB (on some devices)

I'm only observing the last issue on my H300 (hdd performing an
emergency park when entering bootloader usb), otherwise the
bootloader is working fine for me. Linus once posted a test
bootloader, which reversed the effect on my H300 (no emergency
park when entering bootloader usb, but an emergency park during
normal boot), which was much more annoying.

There's another issue with the v5 bootloader (which also affects
the v6 bootloader for h1x0): it doesn't have the CF fixes.

I'm not using my H300 for real, just for testing, but then I
still don't like the idea of potentially bricking it without
having a safety net (aka bdm wiggler + required software and
instructions).

Regards,
Jens

Regards, Jens