Subject: Bricked my H300 :(

Bricked my H300 :(

From: pondlife <pondlife_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 09:18:41 -0000

Hi all,

OK, I thought I'd try an SVN bootloader on my H300. Have done many
bootloader builds and updates in the past with no problem.

I did the following:

- SVN up to r23674
- configure to H300/normal, make clean, make, make zip
- unzipped to the H300 and tested it booted ok (sanity)
- made sure the H300 battery was full
- configure to H300/bootloader, make clean, make
- ../tools/mkboot -h300 h300eu130.bin bootloader.bin h300.bin (same EU 1.30
base firmware file I've used before)
- ../tools/scramble -iriver h300.bin h300.hex
- On the H300, renamed my old h300.hex to h300old.hex
- Copied the new h300.hex to the H300
- Booted the OF and did a firmware upgrade

It seemed to do the flashing a little faster than I recall, I guess about 15
seconds before it powered off.

Now, any attempt to power on (even holding the REC button down) just gives a
white screen and no other response. There's no HDD action at all, so it's
not just a visual thing - I have officially made a brick out of my last
working Rockbox target. Stupid stupid pondlife.

I'm mainly posting to warn other H300 users before they do something
similar. However, can anyone suggest what I might have done wrong in the
above steps - like I said, I've done plenty of bootloader builds/flashes in
the past - just not done one for a year or so, so wonder if I've forgotten
something important.

One other point - I noticed that the new h300.hex was a little larger than
the previous one (Windows Explorer reportted 4087k, as opposed to the
previous 4085k). Don't suppose that's relevant though.

I'm 99.999% sure I'll need to buy a BDM klit or a replacement (H300 if
possible, I have all the spares and big HDD), but if anyone has any
suggestions - I'm all ears.

pondlife