Subject: Re: Crossfade options

Re: Crossfade options

From: Jeff Goode <jeffg7_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 11:49:42 -0500

john wrote:
> Hi Jeff
>

>>> I don't personally see much use for the new option, i.e. I don't see when
>>> you'd use "Auto Track Skip" but not "Always" instead.
>>>

> As always: Different people, different needs...
>
> This is exactly the option I was missing. I like the effect of
> crossfading very much and normally would always use it. I rarely
> listen to albums in original order. But...: When skipping through
> playlists the delay before the next track starts in crossfade mode is
> so anoying long, that I often disable crossfade. Most possibly I would
> use the "Auto Track Skip" option all the time.
>
> But...
>

>> Speaking of manual skips, I noticed that crossfaded manual skips are
>> handled precisely the same way as track-end crossfades. That is, the
>> fadeout happens *at the end* of the currently buffered material, which
>> is then mixed with the faded in new track. This means that even after
>> the skip button is pressed it can be a couple of seconds before the
>> crossfade start sample is marked and the fade out delay begins to count
>> down. I propose that the fadeout delay counter should begin immediately
>> for crossfaded manual skips. I don't foresee any objections to this,
>> but I thought I'd ask.
>>

> This opens up another possibility:
> If you eliminate the unneccessary delay, maybe I would use the
> "Always" option again. No need to predict this deeper now, however.
> But you see: You solved one ugly behaviour in two possible ways. Yeah,
> and they can be combined, too. Thanks.
>
> cu
> John

Hi John,

I've already done both. Try a recent build (within the past week or so)
and see what you think. "Auto track change only" make manual skips
instantaneous, but the crossfade manual skip process now at least starts
immediately also. The fade process takes a few seconds like it always
did, though.

Jeff