Subject: Re: branch for 3.5 today/tonight/this weekend?

Re: branch for 3.5 today/tonight/this weekend?

From: Frank Gevaerts <frank_at_gevaerts.be>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 01:28:16 +0100

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 03:43:46PM -0800, Jonathan Gordon wrote:
> I think we agreed in the last thread that giving users more time to
> test out "RC" builds would be great, and considering the general plan
> is to release around xmas (3 weeks), would there be any objections to
> branching today, or on the weekend?

So you want to drop the freeze. Why?

> Here is my reasoning:
> 1) doing that would give users 3 weeks to tests before release

Users can test as soon as the freeze starts

> 2) there is one week to go before freeze anyway which means no biggish
> features will go in anyway

This is silly. If "one week to go before the freeze" means no big
commits, it basically means that the freeze has been extended by a week.
"no big commits" is what the freeze itself is supposed to be.

> 3) I' not happy with the current state of the sbs stuff and want to
> commit FS#10824 and 10709 (I think thats the numbers) but doing so
> will definitely piss people off, and I'm out right not waiting a month
> more to check them in.

You're not happy about the state of the code, so you want to release it.

> The only downsides I can see is its more time to backport any bug
> fixes... but if any really big ones go in (doubtful) then maybe we
> want to rebranch anyway...

The freeze is supposed to handle the big merges. Why are you against
that?

Frank