Subject: Re: themes, skins, backdrops and RAM usage... (i.e sure to be controversial)

Re: themes, skins, backdrops and RAM usage... (i.e sure to be controversial)

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:43:12 -0600

Jonathan Gordon wrote:
> 1) can we get rid of the redundant settings (forground/background
> colour, backdrop, ui viewport, etc)

I'd say if they're truly redundant, dump them. I've been in favour of
having "theme" settings wholly controlled by the theme file for a while
anyway. It does cost a little configurability (in that there's no good
way on-target to change mono-themes to fit different color schemes on
color targets) but that problem can be addressed with something like a
simple "theme generator" plugin that lets you pick fore and background
colors and outputs appropriate files.

> 2) can we come up with a workable solution to make the skin buffer
> user configurable?

At the very "worst" case wouldn't this simply be an option like the
current "max files in folder" options? Maybe something like "Max theme
size" with human-friendly options like "small" "medium" "large" and
"giant" (with "medium" corresponding to our current settings, small
being calculated for a text-heavy but image-free theme, "giant" assuming
a backdrop for every screen and twice the current image usage for each
screen, and "large" falling somewhere between for example).