Subject: post release theme changes - make them more consistent

post release theme changes - make them more consistent

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:56:13 -0800

This might be controversial, but my mind is pretty made up about this.
consistency in skins really is important, I'd need a very logical
reason to not go ahead with this.

POST 3.5 themes will need to be made more consistent. The current
situation is apparently a mess.

No settings are being removed, or hidden, or anything. The change is
going to be priority between the setting and the skins.
The change will make everything align with one simple rule "Use the
settings for fallbacks only". What this means is this:
If a skin (SBS or WPS for now, FMS and WRS coming soon :p ) specifies
a <something> that also exists in a setting, then use the value from
the skin, otherwise use the setting.
SO:
- if a skin sets a backdrop use it, if it doesnt *always* use the
setting backdrop (the sbs backdrop will never be shown in any other
skinned screen unless of course they both specify the same filename)
- if a viewport in a skin uses - for colours, then use the setting
(this is svn behaviour and wont change)
- (sbs only) if the sbs specifies a %Vi then use it completely, if it
doesn't then use the one from settings (unlike svn where the UI area
is the intersection between the 2)
- %we/wd in skins then is also consistent (both ignore the setting)

The arguments against this are basically "I like this theme but want
to tweak it" in which case I can only say go for it, but you need to
change the actual skin files instead of your .cfg.

Jonathan