Subject: RE: ffmpeg coordination effort!

RE: ffmpeg coordination effort!

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 00:13:45 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, Mike Giacomelli wrote:

> I've been thinking about this for a couple days, and heres what I came up
> with:

I feel an obligation to get back on this as I did try to push this further a
while ago.

I joined their #ffmpeg-devel channel with the full intention to push for this
to take off, but instead I got a lecture on how we should rather do to avoid
mallocs in codecs (no I did not ask for it - I was just trying to explain that
we have some different ideas and requirements on codecs to have them work fine
in our environment). Also, I got a strong sense that basically what they want
is for us to make patches to send to them. Alas, they basically didn't see any
work or needed effort from their end.

I left their channel then, quite annoyed and upset, and I chatted privately
with at least two guys who said the primary talker I talked to shouldn't be
taken too seriously and that they really wanted to see us reach something in
this effort.

My intent was to get back to them after a day or two and try to come up with a
suggestion, but time's been short and I think trying to talk to them on IRC in
_their_ IRC channel is not the right approach.

I'm not sure exactly how to proceed. I lost some motivation and I've been
quite occupied with life and work since.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se