Subject: Re: Proposal to update GCC for ARM

Re: Proposal to update GCC for ARM

From: Bertrik Sikken <bertrik_at_sikken.nl>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 19:38:40 +0100

On 8-3-2010 3:15, Thomas Martitz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've uploaded my latest test results with gcc 4.4.3 and the just
> released binutils 2.20.1 to
> http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/CodecPerformanceComparison. The new combo
> does a bit better than the current 4.4.2/2.20 combo (reading the
> binutils mailing list, 2.20 had quite a few bugs, especially related to
> ARM).

<snip>

> Are there any opinions?

Sounds like a great idea to start using this compiler!
Thanks for the effort of researching this.

We will probably have to come up with some kind of strategy of phasing
it in (although this could be as simple as running a few test builds
with this compiler on a target, start using it for the automatic builds
and see if anyone complains about breakage).

Kind regards,
Bertrik