Subject: Re: Proposal to update GCC for ARM

Re: Proposal to update GCC for ARM

From: Karl Kurbjun <kkurbjun_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 16:43:36 -0700

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Thomas Martitz <
thomas.martitz_at_student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:

> Am 08.03.2010 22:15, schrieb Thomas Martitz:
>
>> Sure. I agree.
>>

> Verified Samsung YH925 bootloader as well.

I think that updating to the latest version of GCC would be nice, but I am
curious what the codec performance is on a "non-ideal" situation. I noticed
that the tests you performed are against a PP target which, as I understand,
still uses long calls.

I would imagine that the long call targets would represent the best-case
performance by migrating.

Have you done any tests on the Gigabeat or Sansa AMS to see how the codec
performance stacks up on the EABI builds verus the 'old' GCC setup we use?

If the results on the Gigabeat or Sansa AMS are similar to the Sansa v1
results then I would be for updating the toolchain.

-Karl