Subject: Re: Plan for skin changeover?

Re: Plan for skin changeover?

From: Maurus Cuelenaere <mcuelenaere_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 13:34:00 +0200

"Jonathan Gordon" <jdgordy_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Hey all.
>
>I want to get a plan down for the skin format changeover which will
>happen Very Soon (either before or during DevCon...).
>
>Basically what needs to happen is one small diff get committed to make
>the existing parser work with the new format (ready to go, needs more
>testers though...). The problem is as soon as that happens the entire
>theme site becomes useless for the current build (as do all the
>shipped wps's.)
>
>If we get an OK from scorche (or rasher? who else has the required
>access?) I want to copy the current theme site and disable updates.
>The reason to do this is because there is a script in
>utils/skinupdater which (should) extract a given zip file, run the
>update program over it and zip it back up so the entire theme site can
>get updated in one hit. But if that happens no themes will work for
>3.6... so for a while it would great if we hosted 2 copies of the
>theme site....
>
>So what we need is:
>1) people test the attached diff
>2*) clone the theme site
>3*) have someone run utils/skinupdater/updatetheme.pl on all the zips
>in the themesite
>4) commit the attached diff and run the update on all the .wps files
>in wps/ (that should be pretty easy)
>5) fix bugs (what bugs? not in my code there arnt any! :D )
>
>2 and 3 need someone with shell access to the theme site which I
>assume is only scorche which is why devcon is probably the earliest
>time this could happen.

3) can be done by anyone with shell access to the themes user (me, scorche, rasher, domonoky?, ...).

I'm not sure what your plan is with 2) (e.g. new subdomain), but if it's just cloning it to a subdirectory of themes.rockbox I *think* that can also be done without root access, meaning the same people I listed above.

--
Maurus Cuelenaere