Subject: Re: [RaaA] Weekly status report

Re: [RaaA] Weekly status report

From: Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz_at_student.htw-berlin.de>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 16:14:59 +0200

I'm sorry that I left out the last week's report, the uni kept me busy
this week (forunately at least the devcon attenders are aware of my
progress). But it paid of, my Rockbox presentation went really really
well :P

Back to the topic: My project is in a good shape I think. I can actually
build an SDL application right now (not defining SIMULATOR or any
target). You can look at the code at http://repo.or.cz/w/kugel-rb.git

However, it's not quite finished yet. To make it distributable I have to
work out how to the file system and how to install it.

a) We collected some ideas two weeks ago but we didn't manage to find a
consensus I think. I still think exposing the full / is unnecessary but
OTOH I wouldn't want to limit users. But it could also be annoying to
always start off at / when browsing for music. I guess we need a way to
link/mount (configurable) directories into the start point of the file
browser for convinience but then it could get tricky with the database
(I fear the redundancy would make it list files multiple times).

b) Where to install it? /usr/local/bin (or C:\Program Files\Rockbox)
comes into my mind, but then there's the problem of not having write
access in the installation routine. Installing somewhere into $HOME
seems weird. Another idea would be installing the binaries to
/usr/local/bin, the plugins/codecs to /usr/local/share, and see what
changes are needed to de-attach them from the .rockbox directory.

Best regards.