Subject: Re: svn properties

Re: svn properties

From: Rob Purchase <rob.purchase_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 19:02:59 +0100

On 14/06/2010 16:56, Rafaël Carré wrote:
> I assumed no existing editor can't handle \n
>
> In another mail I mentioned notepad.exe (from windows XP, I'm not sure
> what notepad.exe from Vista and above does) is the only editor to my
> knowledge which can't read/write \n
>
> Then I also assumed no one develops with notepad.exe
>
> If I was wrong then of course we should use eol-style=native

Speaking as someone who writes the majority of my code on Windows and is
well-versed with the common Windows text editors, AFAIK the only editors
that can't handle Unix-style LFs properly are not code editors (ie.
Notepad). Thus, anybody seriously writing code on Windows will use a
text editor that can handle LF correctly.

My current Rockbox workflow is to check files out using an Ubuntu VM,
and edit them in Windows using TextPad and a Samba share. Call me
perverse, but this is what I prefer.

If I had the choice, I would also do my SVN updates/checkins using a
Windows tool such as TortoiseSVN, but I am led to believe this will
break things because the "native" eol-style causes SVN to mungw the
line-endings to suit Windows. Not having this property set at all would
suit me better, as an example.

> The standard way to set line endings is a text editor, not a version
> control system

I completely agree, and this would also make the above hypothetical
workflow easier ;-)

> "and Windows programs combine all of the lines of a Unix file into one
> giant line because no carriage return-linefeed (or CRLF) character
> combination was found to denote the ends of the lines."
>
> I think this is equally outdated. Windows users might confirm or infirm.

This was outdated even a decade ago, and has no relevant to today's
Windows code editors.

Rob.