Subject: Re: [RaaA] Weekly status report

Re: [RaaA] Weekly status report

From: Maurus Cuelenaere <mcuelenaere_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 11:26:06 +0200

Op 22-06-10 18:39, Thomas Martitz schreef:
> Hi guys,
>
> again I'm busy due to uni stuff; I got a lot of practical and
> laboratory experiment courses lately. But slowly I'm getting
> somewhere. I'm currently preparing to commit the (first) RaaA target.
> It runs, but there's a few kludges which I want to sort out before.
> After that, I should work on having a proper "make install" mechanism,
> which implies (following last weeks discussion) to split up Rockbox'
> .rockbox folder into separate ones and to make some compile time
> constants runtime detectable.
>
> For a redistributable .zip (if we want that) we probably could stick
> to the single .rockbox approach, but for compiling from source and for
> distributions/windows installers we want something more application
> typical I think.
>
> I'm not sure what would be missing after that. I can't think of
> anything right now. If there's nothing I would start looking into
> Android. I today ordered the HTC Legend. Once the SDL app is
> considered finished, I guess you might have a different view of
> finished that me - we can discuss that, I can focus on the Android
> port. But I still need to dive into app development on Android before.
> That said, I'm completely unexperienced in that area, and I can just
> hope there aren't as many traps as I fear.

I was wondering, how do you plan to handle the different screen
dimensions at runtime? For some platforms this isn't needed (Maemo only
has N900), but for others this is a requirement (Android, WinCE,
iPhoneOS, ..).

I haven't seen much discussion towards this (though I haven't been on
IRC for some time), but I do think this is an important point.

The obvious solution to this is defining LCD_HEIGHT and LCD_WIDTH as
variables and not building plugins, but I'm not sure how flexible the
apps/ layer is w.r.t. to these changes.

--
Maurus Cuelenaere