Subject: Re: [RaaA] Weekly status report

Re: [RaaA] Weekly status report

From: Frank Gevaerts <frank_at_gevaerts.be>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 23:48:54 +0200

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 02:42:36PM +0100, Alex Bennee wrote:
> On 23 June 2010 10:25, Alex Parker <parker.alex.e_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> IMHO, binary RaaA packages should use "native" packaging and installing
> >> methods. That means .debs and .rpms on Linux and installer-things on
> >> Windows.
> >
> > And .tar.xz (Arch)!
> <snip>
> >.. build from source (or do our own packages for
> > different distros).
>
> TBH it's probably good enough to support --prefix and maybe the
> ability to specify particular library paths in the configure line.
> Distributions very rarely directly use the packages packaging as there
> is often a bunch of ancillary stuff to comply with the various distro
> standards.

I have to agree here. It's nice to have packages for lots of distributions,
but I think it's perfectly acceptable to handle those by waiting for
patches from people who use those distributions.

> For Windows it probably does make sense to package things into a
> setup.exe (or whatever it is these days).

Probably, yes, but here again leaving that to someone who's done this
sort of thing before might be a good idea.

If Thomas wants to have fun packaging stuff, I don't mind, but I
personally wouldn't count this as a requirement for the RaaA project.
Making sure the configure script handles everything that's needed to
allow this packaging is of course needed.

Frank