Subject: Re: CRC checks in codecs

Re: CRC checks in codecs

From: Dave Hooper <dave_at_beermex.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 17:37:59 +0100

'How often do files just go bad' - well I guess part of the reason for the
crc is that nobody really knows the answer to that. Ever downloaded a
corrupted file from the internet, or a torrent with missing (unavailable)
chunks? Without crc checking the frame, you could easily crash rockbox with
malformed/garbage data, since I doubt all data is validated/sanity checked
in all code paths. That's just vorbis though (which iirc actually does do a
reasonable job of sanity checking most things along the way), other codecs
might have less sanity checking -- do we do crc checking on mp3? If not
then, I suppose, we could remove it from vorbis also (and see who complains
after the next release..)

Or alternatively see if the crc loop could be optimised more perhaps?