Translations

Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Encoder plugin

Encoder plugin

From: Rafaël Carré <rafael.carre_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 20:04:04 +0200

Hi,

I was looking at why mp3_encoder doesn't support WAV files with only
one channel or a samplerate different than 44.1kHz and I was reminded
that it would be a nice thing to have a plugin which uses all the
available encoders (used for recording MIC/FM/LINE IN etc..)

I started working on such a plugin and I want to share my findings and
reflexions and get opinions before investing more time:

- the encoders are currently tied to some code only enabled in builds
  with HAVE_RECORDING; a plugin replacing mp3_encoder and wav2wv would
  only be built on targets with HAVE_RECORDING.

wav2wv.c is 5 years old, mp3_encoder.c 4 1/2 years old
codecs/*_enc.c are 4 years old (work by jhMikeS)

the codec mp3_enc.c is based on the plugin mp3_encoder.c (very very
similar) but wavpack_enc.c and wav2wc.c seem to be different.

Since the encoder plugins are older than the encoder codecs (used in
recording), and this new plugin would only be built on recording
targets (at least without some extra effort to unconditionally build
some encoding general code),

I question the usefulness of mp3_encoder.c and wav2wv.c plugins on
targets without recording and propose to just remove those 2 plugins.

Encoding raw pcm is a task best made on a PC, for example the same PC
from which you got those pcm files, because your target obviously can't
create pcm files (if it could record, you could still chose to encode
your recordings directly)

OK for deleting those plugins ? (y/n)

--
Rafaël Carré