Subject: Re: Skin buffer size

Re: Skin buffer size

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 10:46:54 +1000

On 16 July 2010 10:28, Edgar Toernig <froese_at_gmx.de> wrote:
> Jonathan Gordon wrote:
>>
>> > -#define SKIN_BUFFER_SIZE (MAIN_BUFFER + REMOTE_BUFFER + SKIN_FONT_SIZE) + \
>> > +#define SKIN_BUFFER_SIZE (MAIN_BUFFER + REMOTE_BUFFER + 5*SKIN_FONT_SIZE) + \
>> >                          (WPS_MAX_TOKENS * sizeof(struct wps_token))
>
>> The eventual goal is to make that buffer resizeable, but untill then
>> doing that change is a waste for most people. (On the clip the font
>> size is 3K IIRC but on targets with I tihnk more than 8MB ram it is
>> 10K and the extra space isnt usually needed anyway.
>
> Hmm... we are talking about ~0.1% of memory (from 12k to 24k).  I think,
> most people will give up 1s of sound pre-buffering for fancier graphics.
> There must have been a demand else support for multiple fonts wouldn't
> have been added in the first place.
>
> But what's the point for multiple fonts when there's not enough buffer
> space for them?  To me it looks like the buffer size calculation was simply
> not adjusted when multiple font support was added.  Now you have the effect
> that a WPS sometimes loads and sometimes not, depending on SBS and selected
> user font.
>
> Why not increase it until the resizable (or configurable) buffer size is
> implemented?  This would at least fix a problem ...
>
> Ciao, ET.

You are preaching to the choir here, The way people care about tiny
amounts of RAM is rediculous, but that is what we do... does
increasing it to 2 *SKIN_FONT_SIZE work?

The problem with the mono targets is that there is no backdrop buffer
and a much smaller image buffer, the backdrop one is the important
one, on the bigger targets when the backdrop is shared between all
skins you have a couple hundred KB free for fonts and stuff. On mono
there isnt this huge buffer and really the size hasn't been calibrated
(for want of a better word).

So, if 2 or 3 works I'd be interested in a atch which increases
MAIN_BUFFER for mono targets as a stopgap solution.