Subject: P#11260 Task closed by nls: lets keybox import its database from an external text file

P#11260 Task closed by nls: lets keybox import its database from an external text file

From: Heinrich Zintel <Hugo.Cello_at_web.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 18:31:20 +0200 (CEST)
Hi Rockboxers, I'm using amongst others the keybox plugin for storing my passwords on a Sansa e200. To fill this data base with a bigger amount of URLs, user and password pairs it's a pain in the ass to type in all the data using the internal "keyboard". That's why I wrote a patch for keybox to be able to read the data base from an external text file and encrypt them (see http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/11260). The patch now is rejected due to security reasons. The objection is that if I copy the text file onto the device, import it into keybox and delete the file afterwards, it could be restored from disk. Obviously even the possibility to have a warning in the manual and let the user decide if he wants to take the (really small) risk seems not to be acceptable. Still I think the usability of keybox would be greatly improved if we could import the data base from file. So I'd like to ask you, the developers, if you have any idea how to do this in a secure manner. One possibility could be to offer an external program that creates the keyboard.dat file on your computer and then copy it to Rockbox but I'd prefere to have this functionality inside Rockbox. Any idea would be highly appreciated Gerhard On Wednesday 18 August 2010, Rockbox wrote: > The following task is now closed: > > FS#11260 - lets keybox import its database from an external text file > User who did this - Nils Wallménius (nls) > > Reason for closing: Rejected > Additional comments about closing: I'm sorry but this is a too great > security risk and even reisk lulling users into false security. > > More information can be found at the following URL: > http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/11260

WEB.DE DSL SOMMER-SPECIAL: Surf & Phone Flat 16.000 für
nur 19,99 ¿/mtl.!* http://web.de/DSL-Doppel-Flatrate/