Subject: idea for formalising committal of new features.

idea for formalising committal of new features.

From: alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 15:58:08 +0100

Hi list,
I have an idea for streamlining the committal of new features, and
wonder what the list thinks.

At the moment, it seems to me that committal of patches works on the
basis that if someone with svn access is interested enough then a
patch gets committed, but if it doesn't impact on people directly then
nothing gets done or people seem to think well someone else will
probably get around to committing that.

So this is my idea, in edition to normal commiters being able to make
changes to svn,
Perhaps the release coordinator could have some kind of responsibility
for reviewing new patches that introduce features, or if someone wants
something putting in, the coordinator can be contacted directly about
it.

Basically I am suggesting that adding of new features needs to become
more formalised rather than it just being down to anyone who has svn
access and who feels like committing something. I think there needs to
be a set procedure for requesting a patch be put in rather than just
sending out a message to the mailing list, asking on the forums or
asking on irc and hoping someone notices.

I mean look at how many old open patches are on the tracker, I suspect
if most of them were reviewed they are probably out of date, or no
longer even relevant due to the length of time they have been open, as
there are several on there that are several years old.
I would suggest the reason a lot of them haven't been closed or
committed is down to apathy and there being no formal procedures for
managing the tracker.

Perhaps the tracker should be reviewed once a year or something to
decide what should be done about outstanding tasks.
Anyway, these are just my thoughts.
What do people think?
Alex.