Subject: Re: idea for formalising committal of new features.

Re: idea for formalising committal of new features.

From: Bryan Childs <godeater_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 07:15:08 +0100

On 23 August 2010 19:22, alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com> wrote:

> But who decides what does and what doesn't belong in rockbox, there is
> no formalised structure decisions just seem to be made on the whim of
> one or two people.

That's pretty much how it works, yes. By being given commit access, a
developer is being acknowledged by the existing set of active developers as
having the smarts to make decisions about what does and doesn't get included
in the project.

We *ask* that large commits are discussed beforehand in IRC, but it doesn't
always happen.

Fundamentally, being given commit access means that you as an individual can
say what gets into Rockbox. We don't have some cloud-based gestalt commit
mechanism. I don't know of many projects which do.