Translations

Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: idea for formalising committal of new features.

Re: idea for formalising committal of new features.

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 18:00:18 +1000

On 24 August 2010 17:45, Amaury Pouly <amaury.pouly_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps it should be more formal than "Let's review the patches". For
> example, we choose a day and do each patch at once. This way, everyone looks
> at it, and hopefully all people who can review the patch decide if it's
> still valid or not. It would take a long time but at this point, but on the
> other hand, going through the tracker alone is really painful. If we review
> patch one per day, it will take two years to complete the task :-D This is
> just a concept of course but the key point is that like Alex said, if it's
> formal, then everybody should feel concerned. But this will not solve the
> initial problem of handling new features, this will just help in cleaning
> the tracker.

A coordinated effort to cull patches would be good but really the only
time that is doable is during devcon (which I believe happend also).
That doesnt solve any of the following problems though:
1) the author has gone, the patch might be great but if noone wants to
take ownership of the patch it is going to be left to rot (either on
the tracker or in svn)
2) every patch will have someone saying this maybe isnt a good idea
(for any number of reasons)
3) most of the patches everyone is indifferent to, but we dont want to
import 300 patches in one hit!
4) author hasnt given us his full name, patch is ready to go otherwise
but cant be accepted
5) patches are still a bit of a pain to actually commit (download,
merge, sync, commit with the correct formatted message)